Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Rant about Maternity Clothing


I would like to comment on the crappy clothing choices that pregnant women have to choose from. Being seven months pregnant myself, I very much dislike the choices that are at Thyme and Motherhood Maternity, let alone the price tag that goes along with them. I am a younger mom-to-be and I really don’t feel like I should have to wear baggy saggy jeans that are not long enough (I am 5’8) and just don’t fit properly. What’s worse are those tops with lace and paisley!! Whoever thought expectant mothers should only wear those two prints must have been on crack. I think paying almost $30 for a simple t-shirt is totally rediuclous, and why are they all old-looking and non fashionable? Aren’t pregnant women generally between the ages of 20-40? Yeah. I’m not saying that we should all dress like hoochies, but I don’t think I need to look like I’m 90 years old. I seem to find some things I like at Old Navy or whatever, but most times I have to buy a large or extra large in any normal stores. Also, why are things so expensive for maternity? I just don’t get it. I know you need a bit more material to manufacture things to fit a belly, but really, since when do I need to pay $60-70 for jeans?? Especially jeans I’m only going to wear for a few months – after all, it’s not like I can wear them sans belly, right? And what about jackets? HELLO! Pregnant people get cold too!! Why am I always wearing my husband’s sweaters to keep warm? And why are all the shirts too short in length?? Some bellies grow wide and as we get bigger, we need length too!!! I really feel like the maternity stores should be consulting a younger panel of mothers to be rather than Betty White!

No comments:

Post a Comment